Domestic Violence and the Signs

Domestic Violence is a big part of our society’s danger and especially in relationships. We need to learn and know the signs of DV(Domestic Violence) so that if we are ever in a situation in the future we know so we can get out of that situation.

Let’s go over what DV is. Domestic Violence is any form of Physical, Verbal, or Mental abuse to another person. Physical abuse is when a person tries or does hurt you like hitting, scratching, kicking, rapeing, and many more things. 

Verbal Abuse is when a person is pulling you down with their words, like saying, you suck, you’re never going to be great, you are such a disappointment it’s sad to be related to you. It can also be when you make threats like I am gonna hurt you or I am going to kill you, but it can also be gaslighting which is when someone turns things around on them, Like saying I never said that, or you’re just being too sensitive it’s not  a big deal. 

The last thing is Mental abuse. Mental Abuse is when the tear down at your mental awareness like yelling at you, embarrassing you in public, name calling you, not caring in your interest sarcasm and/or character assasination, which is using the word “always”. You’re always wrong, you’re always late, you’re always scared, ect..  

Statistics show that,

• On average, almost 20 people per minute are physically abused by an intimate partner in the United States. 
  • 1 in 4 women and 1 in 9 men have experienced some form of physical violence by a partner. 
  • 1 in 7 women and 1 in 25 men have been injured by apartter in a relationship. 
  • 1 in 5 women and 1 in 71 men in the United States have been raped in their lifetime.

And that’s just in women and men, If we go to children/Teens,

• 1 in 11 female and 1 in 14 male high school/middle school students report having experienced physical dating violence in the last year.
  • 1 in 8 females and 1 in 26 mals high school/ middle school students report having  experienced sexual dating violence in the last year.
  • 26% of women and 15% of men who were victims of sexual,physical, and/or stalking violence by a partner before the age of 18.

A counselor form Red Oak Middle School was interviewed for her thoughts on Domestic Violence. Mrs. Mena is always heartbroken to hear or see a person in this situation.

No one should ever have to go through a situation like Domestic Violence,” Mena said. She would like people to know that if they are in a situation like Domestic Violence, it’s not their fault; the victim did nothing to deserve this kind of treatment.

It’s ok to be scared and to not want to leave him or her, but there are places or shelters you can go to for help. As mentioned earlier Mrs. Mena is a school counselor and there are certain steps schools have to go through if they get a report about a Domestic Violence case or are asked to deal with a case.

School will usually use local officers, school officers or CPS  depending on the situation and how the kid is effect by it and there parents are effect by it, sometimes woman tell you about something hat is going on and they give them phone numbers to call, but everything they do depends on the situation the kid or adult are in and try to keep them as safe as possible.

If you or someone you know is in a Domestic violence situation, know it is not your fault and you did not do anything to deserve it. If you are experiencing a DV situation, talk to a trusted adult like a parent, teacher, counselor, police officer, or even a friend if you feel safe enough and tell them what is going on. There are also free confidential hotlines to call and talk to someone.

If you are seeing a DV situation happen to someone you know, ask if they are safe or need someone to talk to, Bring them to a local shelter or help them into therapy/counseling.

Domestic Violence Hotline

1-800-799-SAFE (7233)

1-800-787-3224 (TTY)

Advocates are also available to chat 24/7.