RO: In the Know

Elective fair gives incoming seventh graders a taste of what’s next

A. Cisneros, Video Editor, Staff Writer

The elective fair was on March 8th from 6-8 p.m. at Red Oak Middle School for sixth grade students, at the same time as the annual open house for all ROMS students.

Counselors (Ms. Barnes and Ms. Benton shown here) were the first to greet families at the Open House and Elective Fair in March

The elective fair gave students information about what electives Red Oak Middle School offers, and helped them decide what electives they might want to take when they are in seventh grade.

The elective teachers set up stands with projects or work samples of what the students did in their class and talked about the things that they do in the classrooms. It was hosted by elective teachers and student volunteers. Little pamphlets with information were also distributed to kids who wanted more information about specific classes. 

Computer science and robotics teacher Ms.Eaton explains a student project to a family of an incoming seventh grader.

It was a very busy night due to two other events  that were happening on the same day which was the book fair and the open house. There was no admission fee for any of the events, but school spirit shirts were on sale for only $6 each. There were people of all ages from little babies to elderly people at the fair, along with students dressed up in costumes or their elective uniform like civil air patrol or drama.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Elective fair gives incoming seventh graders a taste of what’s next”

1. Anonymous on May 1st, 2019 10:23 am

Looks like it was a cool open house!

2. H Lopez on May 1st, 2019 2:24 pm

This is actually very informative! I love the little details about the costume dressing-up, and the unique pictures. The captions included make it even more interesting to read, as I can understand what’s going on. Overall, this article is wonderful!

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

The Official Student News Site of Red Oak Middle School