District asks public for help in renaming two schools

Due to next year's reconfiguration, ROJH, ROI to receive new moniker

Nia Carter and Mahala Higginbotham, News Reporters

Red Oak ISD is asking the public for suggestions on what to rename two of its schools.

Due to the recent passage of Phase One, which will turn the Intermediate into a new elementary school and move the 6th graders to Red Oak Junior High, ROJH and and ROI will need new names for the 2015-16 school year.

To determine the new names that will come into play next year, there is a Namesake Nomination Form on the district web site for anyone in the community who wishes to make a suggestion. The form asks those making nominations to explain the significance of why they think their proposed name should be selected above all others.

“The names that have been entered in the namesake competition go to the school board, and the school board will vote on what they want [the schools’ names to be],” ROJH Principal Cristi Watts said.

When the final names are decided upon, ROJH and “The West Campus” — which will house the 6th graders — will be linked under the same name. However, the 7th and 8th graders will be housed in the area to be known as “main campus” and the 6th graders will be in the “6th grade center.”

Many teachers have their own opinion of what they think the schools should be named. A popular name among the teachers is “Schupmann Middle School.”

Russell Schupmann was a long-time staff member and advocate for the education system in Red Oak ISD. Schupmann served in ROISD for 25 years, including a stint as assistant superintendent. He retired at the end of the 2013-14 school year.

“He was a great benefit to [Red Oak’s] history,” ROJH librarian Cheryl Hawkins said.

Another title that was mentioned among the administration at ROJH is “Possum Trot Elementary School.”

“I think that they should go back into their heritage and name ROI “Possum Trot Elementary School” because that was Red Oak’s first name [as a town],” Assistant principal Robert Magier said.

To nominate a namesake, visit www.redoakisd.org.