8th graders ready to celebrate end of school year

Heaven Tuggle, Opinion Writer

The 8th grade party is something to look forward to. The food will be better than school food for sure, even if it’s a considerably smaller amount. You get two slices of pizza, and you can buy more snacks if you bring money.

Some students might be left out from the fun. It costs $20 to attend the party, and some students can’t afford to spend $20 on a party. It’s our party — we deserve it. So why do we have to pay anyway?  The school could cut back on other things they spend a lot of money on, such as athletics, so that every student can enjoy this event without having to pay out of their own pocket.

Even with the cost, though, the party will be fun. It’s after STAAR, so that’s a stress relief. It will help us relax and clear our heads and just be kids, playing and yelling, instead of being in desks for four hours taking a test.

Most of my time will either be spent playing pool or at the arcade. Laser tag could be fun, even though I have never played it before, but I will have fun there … no matter what.

It’s cool that we can get out of school for most of the day. We also get to see all of our friends, though most of my friends are in 7th grade. Why do the 7th graders have to stay at school? Shouldn’t they get a party, too? They took tests too, didn’t they? They deserve to have fun instead of being stuck in a classroom all day.

Still, at least the 8th graders are being rewarded for their effort throughout the year. However, the school should consider lowering the cost and including the whole student body moving forward.