The student news site of Red Oak Junior High School

RO: In the Know

Welcoming new ROMS AP Andre Ford

New administrator to lend support to main campus and Sixth Grade Center

Assistant+Principal+Andre+Ford%2C+already+donning+Red+Oak+maroon+and+white%2C+has+a+rare+opportunity+to+sit+down+in+his+office+to+handle+paperwork.++Since+starting+his+new+assignment%2C+Ford+has+constantly+been+on+the+move%2C+interacting+with+students+and+staff+at+the+main+building+and+the+sixth+grade+center.+
Assistant Principal Andre Ford, already donning Red Oak maroon and white, has a rare opportunity to sit down in his office to handle paperwork.  Since starting his new assignment, Ford has constantly been on the move, interacting with students and staff at the main building and the sixth grade center.

Assistant Principal Andre Ford, already donning Red Oak maroon and white, has a rare opportunity to sit down in his office to handle paperwork. Since starting his new assignment, Ford has constantly been on the move, interacting with students and staff at the main building and the sixth grade center.

A. Garrett

A. Garrett

Red Oak Middle School has approximately 1,400 students, but only one principal and three assistant principals. To help us out, we are now welcoming Andre Ford to ROMS as our new assistant principal.

Ford has taught for the past seven years in two districts: Dallas for five years, then Garland for two. He taught elementary, middle, and high school.

“I wanted to come to Red Oak because there’s some really awesome things that are happening out here,” Ford said.

The Red Oak Classroom Revolution is one of the things that caught Ford’s attention. He said the classroom revolution allows teachers to “get out of the way,” while allowing students to take responsibility for their own learning.

“I’m not coming in here to change anything,” Ford said. “I guess my goal is to really just look and find those small pockets that need to be tweaked and fixed, maybe with different sub-populations, different groups of kids.”

Ford is no stranger to middle schoolers. He knows the strategies they use to get by and most of the excuses they conjure up.

“Kids are kids,” Ford said. “They’re going to push the envelope. They’re going to try you. They’re going to try to bend the rules, they’re going to try to get away and get by.”

Ford said he was impressed with many of the school’s achievements, including STAAR distinctions that were earned last year, particularly in social studies. “Social studies, especially for eighth grade, is the toughest because they have so many TEKS.”

“You guys actually already have a lot of good things already set in place,” Ford said. “I’m of the mindset of ‘if it’s not broke, don’t fix it.’ I’m here to just add grease to the squeaking wheels, if you will.”

At the end of the day, it’s Red Oak tradition to pull everyone together, aside from their differences, to do good for the kids.

“I’m excited to be here and just kinda see what I can do to help make things better, if possible.”

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Welcoming new ROMS AP Andre Ford”

1. K Ransom on February 8th, 2017 9:03 am

This is a really good feature story! 🙂

[Reply]

2. E Simpson on March 30th, 2017 9:45 am

This is really good! Good job!

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

Welcoming new ROMS AP Andre Ford