The student news site of Red Oak Junior High School

RO: In the Know

Can A Street Drug Improve PTSD patients?

Madison Smith, News/Editorial Writer

Imagine driving to your school for the last time before. summer vacation. You keep driving forward not distracted by anything until you see a red truck pull out in front of your car and the two automobiles hit. You feel thick smoke everywhere and your body tries to move forward but the pressure from the airbag collides with your face. You unbuckle your seatbelt and realize that your chest has been cut and you can’t see anything. You can hear the ambulances coming down the street and then you wake up in the hospital room.

Everytime you drive down the road the accident happened on, you get so much anxiety that you sometimes stop in the middle of the street. You start to panic when a car drives next to you or you see a car pull out. You get treated for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) but the medicines and counseling aren’t helping. So what can? Turns out, there’s a new medicine on the market.  But, there’s something else. It is a street drug- also known as MDMA.

As far as the public knows, this “new” medicine will be available around 2021 for a trial run which 230 participants will be included in. This medicine is a pill for patients with PTSD to help them overcome fears or any other disorders that comes along with it. It has already been approved by the FDA meaning no turning back now unless somebody comes out with evidence that can turn it down. 

Rachel Hope, a patient who participated in a 2021 study for the MDMA drug, told CNN that it helped her to confront her traumas from her childhood.

“It allowed me to rewired my brain.” she finished off.

But, is it such a good idea? Should people already suffering with a disorder take a street drug? Will it make them worse?

According to factual evidence given by DrugAbuse.gov, MDMA’s are sold in pills, capsules, or powder that are supposedly “pure”. But breaking it up, it seems to contain very addictive products such as cocaine, ketamine, methamphetamine, over the counter cough medicine, or synthetic cathinones. It’s proven that these substances can be very dangerous if they don’t take it into precaution that they could fall into an addictive stage.

Also, people who have taken MDMA before have said that they experienced loss of appetite, depression, and trouble concentrating. Do you really want people to be taking an addictive pill that could possibly make them worse?

Despite the risks, the MDMA-Assisted Psychotherapy Development Program has already passed stages 1 & 2. In a matter of time, level 3 will be tested and legalized so it can used a official PTSD treatment.