The student news site of Red Oak Junior High School

RO: In the Know

Track team on the path to success

Red+Oak+Middle+School+track+athletes+Zion+Blair%2C+from+left%2C+Zach+Sanders%2C+Walter+Taylor%2C+Alfred+%27Trey%27+Lintz+run+laps+to+warm+up+for+track+practice+Feb.+29.+
Red Oak Middle School track athletes Zion Blair, from left, Zach Sanders, Walter Taylor, Alfred 'Trey' Lintz run laps to warm up for track practice Feb. 29.

Nick Ware

Nick Ware

Tiffany Hayes and Abigail Escanlar, Staff writers

The Red Oak Middle School track team is looking forward to a successful season, especially since the turnout for the sport has been bigger than ever.

“I’ve been here five years, and right now, there are roughly 40 girls and 80 boys, if they all show up at one time,” Coach Matthew McCullough said.

The team formed roughly four weeks ago, and so far, the track athletes are excited for the season. Seventh grader Kateri Webb competes in shot put and discus. Shot put is where competitors have to throw a heavy ball further than the athletes they are competing against.

“I like track,” Webb said. “Overall, we are doing good. I hope we have a good season.”

Seventh grader Isaiah Wilburn is a sprinter, and is also looking forward to the meets this season.

“The season itself, I think it’s going to be good,” Wilburn said. “We have a lot of good runners.”

McCullough said the athletes have been working hard, and tackling the phases he has put in place for them.

“The first phase for track is about trying to get them ready and work up to phase two,” McCullough said. “Phase two is for them to run faster than the time they started in phase one, and to start running with less time.  Phase three, we take more time away so they can run even faster, and their break time is cut down or instead of walking down to the finish, they do more jogging back to the finish.”

The team competed on March 3 in Lancaster. The 8th grade boys took 2nd place and the 7th grade boys took last place. McCullough said it’s a good sign for the rest of the season.

“Overall, they did well with the track meet, and I am proud of them,” he said. “However, there is always room for improvement.”

1 Comment

One Response to “Track team on the path to success”

1. evan on January 20th, 2017 1:55 pm

i think that,that is really amazing that track is doing that

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Entertainment

Athlete of the week: Future “Pro” in our midst

• News and Features

Athlete of the week: She’s outside the ‘box’

• News and Features

Teamwork tops coaches’ wish list for ROMS basketball season

• Track team on the path to success

Sports

2016 NBA Playoffs

• Track team on the path to success

Sports

Intramural teams nurture students’ love of sports outside of school

• Track team on the path to success

Sports

COLUMN: After loss at Masters, what will Spieth do now?

• Track team on the path to success

Sports

Golden State sets new regular season win record

• Track team on the path to success

Sports

Golden State Warriors’ quest for 73

• Track team on the path to success

Sports

Quick look: Professional sports teams that have never taken home a top prize

• Track team on the path to success

Sports

Brilliant at basketball

Track team on the path to success